Supernatural Season 8, Episode 20 - Pac-Man Fever
I'd seen the promo for the ep, seen the preview clip, knew it was a Robbie Thompson episode - in short, I was insanely psyched for this before it ever aired. And rather than falling short, it totally exceeded my already high expectations (I think I may be in love with Robbie Thompson and his ability to write a totally awesome script...)
First, let me just say - Dean Winchester in a military uniform!! Yes, I know it's really shallow, but guys in uniforms have always done it for me, and man, oh man, did he look good.
Following that, I proceeded to shake with silent laughter at Sam's bedhead and Dean threatening to cut it, with said laughter increasing even more with the whole thing with the missed catch... "That's why we don't have nice things..." - Jensen playing Dean talking to Sam quoting Jensen talking to Jared - so awesome...
And while I hate seeing Sam hurting, I have to admit to loving Dean in protective-big-bro mode, which we got to see a lot this time around. I'm worried about what the last trial will end up doing to Sam, but I'm probably even more worried about what Dean will do to save Sam. Because we all know that he will do pretty much anything to save his little brother - even something monumentally stupid. So while it's been really great to get the "broments" (love, love, love Charlie channeling her inner SPN fangirl this ep...), and while I'm totally a sucker for the brotherly relationship that makes SPN what it is, I got all concerned right along with Dean every time Sam showed just how sick these trials are making him...
But on a brighter note - the Batcave has a shooting range!! So totally awesome. The fact that Sam can't even hit the target - not so awesome. And Dean repeatedly saying that they're gonna sit things out until Sam gets better - my insides got all knotted up because I'm pretty sure Sam isn't going to "get better," and I think the brothers both know that too, but Dean, as always, isn't gonna let go of his little bro (more on that later).
The Batcave/Men of Letters plotline just continues to be an awesome addition to the story. It's been so amazing to see the brothers finally having a home base again, and every cool thing we discover about it and about their heritage makes me smile. I find myself totally agreeing with Dean - "Man, I love this place..." And I want my own Batcave, desperately. Complete with Sam and Dean Winchester, please.
Okay, back to the episode - I love the character of Charlie. Have ever since she showed up last season. That's partly due to Robbie Thompson creating an awesome character, and also majorly due to Felicia Day bringing that character to life in an amazing way. The way she interacts with both brothers, and especially with Dean, the way she makes being a geek/fangirl seem cool - Charlie is just plain awesome. And of course she's read all the Supernatural books! It's totally in character for her.
Another amusing thing that really hit me this episode - you know the saying, "A picture's worth a thousand words"? Well, I'm pretty sure Jensen Ackles' facial expressions are worth about a million... Upon rewatching, I realized he has next to no lines in the whole scene where Charlie arrives and tells them about the case and about her reading the books, but you know exactly what's going on in his head without him ever saying a word... That's awesome acting for you.
I'm realizing that I could probably gush all day with happiness over some of these scenes between Dean and Charlie, which is a great testament to the writer and the actors. But seriously, Dean's face when Charlie nails the target, the entire sequence where they're out shopping for her, and then her short and sweet attempt at encouragement... "There is pretty much nothing the Winchesters can't do if they work together." D'awwww... And also really very true.
And, oh my goodness, I just realized on this time through that Jensen totally used a line from this episode at VegasCon as an illustration of clichéd dialogue... Not to put down Robbie Thompson's writing at all - this episode was one huge pile of awesomeness when it came to dialogue, so I think one bit of a character saying "the obvious thing to say" (to quote Jensen) is perfectly fine, and I would never have noticed if it hadn't been a line Jensen had mentioned.
Back on track now... I'm realizing that I can't possibly list everything that made me so happy about this episode because this review would just get way, way too long. Suffice it to say that it was so perfect, because it referenced so many old SPN episodes (from Charlie holding her FBI badge upside down to bringing back African dream root and, more importantly, Dad's journal - yes!), had so many humorous character interactions, and even pulled in a Star Wars quote (dying of happiness!). Plus when they're trying to figure out what the monster is, we've got Sam with the MoL books, Charlie with her iPad, and Dean with the hunter's journal... Anyone else start thinking that they've got a perfect team there? And also... "I hate that thing... I want one." Love it.
Back on track now... I'm realizing that I can't possibly list everything that made me so happy about this episode because this review would just get way, way too long. Suffice it to say that it was so perfect, because it referenced so many old SPN episodes (from Charlie holding her FBI badge upside down to bringing back African dream root and, more importantly, Dad's journal - yes!), had so many humorous character interactions, and even pulled in a Star Wars quote (dying of happiness!). Plus when they're trying to figure out what the monster is, we've got Sam with the MoL books, Charlie with her iPad, and Dean with the hunter's journal... Anyone else start thinking that they've got a perfect team there? And also... "I hate that thing... I want one." Love it.
But this episode was about more than just smiles - and this is one of the huge reasons why I love SPN, because there aren't many shows out there that can have you grinning from ear to ear one moment and tearing up the next... The revelation of Charlie's backstory was well played out, though heart-breaking. I have read The Hobbit a hundred times, but I don't think I'll ever be able to read it without thinking of this episode now. And the similarities between Charlie and Dean make even more sense now that we've learned what made her the person she is. I'm glad she was able to let go, to stop being afraid of losing what she'd really already lost, even if it was so hard to do.
And that brings me to Dean, and to how hard he's holding onto Sam. Him seeing Sam in the dream was no surprise - we've really always known that his fear for Sam and his desire to protect his little brother are the driving forces in his life. And it's also no surprise that he's never gonna let go of Sam. As Charlie says, "That's my boys." I was noticing an interesting shift though. When the trials first came up this season, it was Sam who could see the light at the end of the tunnel, Sam who was going to bring Dean to that light with him. Now, it's Dean who is holding onto hope for both of them, Dean who isn't going to let go of Sammy, who's going to bring him through the trials alive no matter what it takes. Sam isn't giving up per se, but you can tell he's not so sure he's going to survive this. So I really liked the reiteration of how hard Dean is holding onto Sam. Maybe he really can carry him through these trials. I'd like to hope so, but that just seems like too happy an ending for a season of Supernatural.
One last note - the hug Dean gives Sam at the end. It was so perfect - especially since it's so rare for Dean to actually show his emotions. But after everything we'd seen this episode, it fit perfectly with Dean intending to never let Sam go.
Anyway, there you have it - my take on this episode. And now I wait for next week, avoiding promos and spoilers like the plague, and totally looking forward to an incredible emotional ride over the next three episodes.
Oh yeah, one more thing... This was my husband's introduction to Supernatural, and I was very, very proud of my show for giving me such an awesome episode this week, since I think he enjoyed it. I still think I'm more likely to get him to start watching Arrow than SPN, but we'll see...
(some screencaps from homeofthenutty.com and screencapped.net)




No comments:
Post a Comment