Yes, I realize I went a whole month without writing up anything. And yes, I did watch more than two shows this week. I was actually about ready to call this whole experiment a complete failure, and give up, but then both of these episodes frustrated me so much that I had to write something.
Once Upon a Time - The Jolly Roger: I like Hook. I like the complexity of his character, and the way it's been developed up to this point. And it doesn't hurt that he really is a dashing rapscallion. But this episode wound up falling flat for me. Everything that I think was supposed to be a surprising plot twist was not. And then we ended with the overused cliche of the lovers who can't touch/kiss for some reason or another. Not saying that can't be done really, really well (see Pushing Daisies), but it can also be a total failure (think Dark Angel). And sadly, this is already feeling like the latter. I wanted to like this episode; it was centered on one of the best characters, and there were moments when I really felt like it had potential (watching Hook react to losing Emma could have made for a really good story), but it never got off the ground. Overall grade: B-
Supernatural - Meta Fiction: Interesting ideas, poor execution. I've found that with Robbie Thompson's scripts, I either really like them, or they feel very disjointed and poorly paced - no middle ground. And this episode was the latter. Sam needed more time to react to seeing Gadreel, and to seeing what Dean did to Gadreel. Gabriel felt off, but since he was basically just the result of Metatron writing fanfiction, I'd be willing to let that one slide. If all he's brought back for is a poorly written cameo (whether that be Robbie's or Metatron's fault), I'm going to be ticked, though. I'd really like to see that last eyebrow quirk pay off and him play a role in either the end of this season or the beginning of the next, but I feel like that's probably hoping for too much. And apparently the fandom was hoping for too much as we waited for Cas to find out about Dean and the Mark. That was probably the worst paced part of the episode. Seriously, guys? Ten seconds to show Cas' reaction?!? That should have been a scene right there! I swear, the only reason I didn't throw something through the TV screen was because at least Jensen and Misha put enough emotion into those ten seconds that I can pretend it happened differently and rewrite the scene in my head, given what they portrayed. This episode made me sad, because there were so many things that could have been brilliant and were just wasted. And now those opportunities are gone. Overall grade: C
No comments:
Post a Comment