Saturday, April 26, 2014

Last week on TV - Apr. 20th-26th

I didn't get lazy this time around - these were actually the only three new episodes I watched this week. (What can I say? I got the complete Indiana Jones collection on sale and I've been making sure those discs all work...)

Once Upon a Time - Bleeding Through: This show loves to play six degrees of separation. Except here, it's more like one or maybe two degrees. It makes me want to tear my hair out. Best part of the episode: Killian around Emma - very well acted on Colin O'Donoghue's part. I actually do find myself rooting for Robin and Regina as well, even though that hasn't been given the development it should have been. Plus, Roland is adorable. That's about all the good stuff I have to say. Like every other episode in this second half of the season, everything felt rushed. I feel like they're trying to do too much, too fast, and none of it has the impact that it should. This show has actually struggled a lot with pacing, being in turns too slow and too quick with plot lines. I really could care less about most of the characters at this point - I'm just watching because I'm hoping it gets better again. Overall grade: C+

Supernatural - Alex Annie Alexis Ann: Bob Berens is awesome. This was a great MOTW episode that didn't forget about events in the larger world and season arc. Another plus was the multitude of well-fleshed-out characters. The brothers felt right, though the Mark is changing Dean in ways that are more than a little frightening. Jody Mills is always a great character, and I loved the way she was written this week. Alex/Annie was a little cliche, but then again, vampire stories are also cliche, and her character was likable and fleshed out well for only having one episode. I hope she sticks around with Jody and we see more of her later. And the momma vamp was also awesome - just the right mix of creepy hick and grieving mother. Basically, the ep left me feeling good about my show, at least until worries about Dean and the Mark start to creep in... Overall grade: A-

Arrow - Seeing Red: All of Sara and Oliver's disagreements finally came to a head, and she realized they really didn't work as a couple. (I think she may have headed off to find Nyssa...) Thea wasn't able to get through to Roy, in a twist on an overused trope. Felicity reminded Oliver of how far he's come (and hopefully he remembers who helped him get there). Diggle was just plain awesome, although he's not really that great a bodyguard when the attacker is hyped up on Mirakuru (not his fault, though - no one would be). And just so no one forgets, the people we were shown during Slade's first big declaration of his plans were Quentin Lance, who was thrown in jail and beaten up for being loyal to the Arrow, Roy, who has now gone nuts and become a killer, thanks to Slade, and Felicity. Makes you wonder what's coming for her. And Oliver is not going to be in a good place to fight back, not after watching Slade kill his mother in front of him. Moira's death wasn't a surprise, especially after she revealed that she'd known Oliver's secret for the past year. I was sad to see her go, because, like pretty much every other female character on this show, her potential was somewhat wasted, and now can never be realized. But I'm hoping for some good fallout. Overall grade: A-


No comments:

Post a Comment