Saturday, May 3, 2014

Last week on TV - Apr. 27th-May 3rd

Yes, I'm down to only three shows that I'm actually caught up on. I'm still watching most of my other shows - I'm just behind, so no episode reviews for those.

Once Upon a Time - A Curious Thing: The good: Outlaw Queen is adorable and I ship them hard. Plus the number of snarky one-liners in this episode was amazing. And let's not forget the extremely shallow but also extremely important fact of the hotness of Charming, Hook, and Robin. I also liked that the good guys were actually the ones who cast the curse; it was a nice twist. The bad: the good guys casting the curse had exactly zero lasting effects on them. I know no one ever really dies on this show (except for Neal, and don't get me started on how that was a terrible way to get him out of the way for Hook), but for something to have a proper impact on viewers, it has to last for longer than a minute or two. Also, those monkeys are cursed people - you might want to think before going around shooting them. And then we come to my constant complaint about this half of the season - it's way too rushed. I really like the ideas, but the material covered in this episode alone would have been enough for at least two, and maybe three, more in-depth episodes. It wasn't terrible. It made me smile. But it wasn't as good as it easily could have been. Overall grade: B-

Supernatural - Bloodlines: Mediocre episode, which had a very different feel from a normal episode of Supernatural. That was okay, though, because it was intended as a backdoor pilot. However, it would have worked better somewhere around episode 14-16 of the season. At this point, three episodes out from the finale, with so many unresolved plot lines, I didn't want to be wasting time on an only-halfway-decent MOTW episode. Nothing I'd heard or seen up to this point had made me excited for the spin-off, and this didn't really do much for me either. The bad guy being human was obvious from the beginning - I'd rather have seen the werewolf girl die, and him survive as a super villain or something, though. The shifter guy is hot, the hunter kid is not interesting at all, and although I'll still probably watch at least the pilot for the spin-off, I don't see myself really getting into it. Overall grade: C+

Arrow - City of Blood: Loved it. Still rather incoherent with happiness. Loved how all the pieces played out, loved watching Oliver say his goodbyes, even loved that Laurel was able to give him a new purpose. There was no way he was going to be talked out of giving himself up. It wasn't that Felicity failed and Laurel succeeded. Laurel just had information Felicity didn't have, information she'd obtained at great personal cost. It's nice to see her storyline getting the payoff it deserves (yes, I like Laurel). I want to see Felicity get similar treatment next season. But for now, I will be satisfied with that perfect scene where they both knew it was very likely the last time they'd ever see each other, and their guards were both down all the way. I really thought he might kiss her then, but I think he didn't because he didn't want to make his impending death any harder for her to bear. Just replaying that scene in my head makes me scream internally. Only two more episodes left, and I am so psyched. Overall grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment