Sunday, May 25, 2014

Arrow rewatch - Season 1, Episodes 6-8

Lots of quotes stood out to me in these next few episodes - most of them because they relate well to later events.

Legacies

  • A bit more about his time on the island - Diggle: "Where'd you learn that?" Oliver:"His name was Yao Fei." "He give you those scars?" "One of them."
  • Diggle: "Sounds like you have a narrow definition of being a hero."
  • Now I'm curious as to when Oliver really starts to change the way he views his mission. Diggle isn't really able to get through to him at this point.
  • Oliver: "I'm not a hero."
  • The familiarity with which Oliver and Thea play off each other speaks highly to how close they were before the island. It's tragic how much has been lost between them.
  • Major squick with Thea crushing on Tommy!!! He would have been an amazing big brother to her, though. Now I'm sad thinking that he never knew he had a sister, much less that his sister was a girl he already considered practically family. He went through so much of his life feeling alone - I wish he'd known the truth.
  • Diggle: "You asked me to work with you, not for you."
  • Many feels about how awesome Diggle and Oliver's relationship is. I love that Diggle isn't afraid to call him on his shit, and their snarky conversations are perfect.
  • Diggle has a smile reserved only for Felicity, too
  • And this is when I realized how much I liked Laurel and Tommy together
  • Headcanon: while Oliver was on the island, Tommy sort of stepped into the big brother role as best as he could - threatened boyfriends, was there when Thea needed someone to talk to about anything - even if he didn't always give the best advice, and wasn't always the best role model
  • Oliver: "I made you a promise; I couldn't keep it." Moira: "Well, it's nothing new for you, Oliver."
  • He reveals himself to Derek Reston - the man who realizes he's responsible for turning his son into a criminal and a murderer
  • This line makes a whole lot more sense now - Robert Queen: "The things I've done, what I was about to do..."
  • Smart move, Tommy - especially since she's not just "like your sister," she actually IS your sister...
  • And now I'm wondering - if Tommy had lived, had been there for Thea like Oliver couldn't be, would things have turned out differently?
  • Diggle lifts Oliver's darkness just a little - not enough to actually let light in, but enough that it isn't smothering him for a moment
  • The moment when island!Oliver finds something that will keep him fighting through the next five years of hell - it should be more powerful, but it isn't
  • Moira: "I guess I just miss my son." Oliver: "I miss you too."
  • They try so hard to connect, and knowing what's coming for them just makes these scenes hurt even more
  • Foreshadowing much? Oliver: "Mom, it's okay to get your hands dirty every once in a while."

Muse of Fire

  • So tempted to skip these next two... I hate Helena
  • Diggle: "So let me get this right, Oliver... Your mother's shot at - nearly killed - and the way you process this emotionally is by going undercover with the mob."
  • His face when he tells Tommy he's okay with Laurel and Tommy dating is the same as when he tries to encourage Felicity about Barry...
  • Oliver: "Tommy... If you hurt her I'll snap your neck."
  • Gadreel is Bertinelli's bodyguard... First time seeing it since SPN season nine :)
  • Thea: "Aren't you getting sick of his lies?" Moira: "Thea, everyone has secrets."
  • About his time on the island, to Helena: "When I didn't feel lost, I felt free. More than one, and, uh, those are the days that I miss."
  • Tommy and Laurel are very sweet together
  • Oliver: "People are always asking me - what did I miss the most? Air conditioning, satellite radio... those are the answers that I give people because those are the answers they're expecting... I don't know how truthful I can be."
  • Malcolm Merlyn is one creepy dude, long before you ever know what he's planning
  • Oliver sounds really pissed at Diggle for interrupting his sort-of date :)
  • Oh look, the plot twist we all saw coming a mile away
  • Lance's sense of honor is the reason his character is so amazing
  • And then the plot twist I did not see coming - Malcolm being Tommy's father
  • Upon reflection, I think Malcolm cut off Tommy's trust fund in order to hopefully eventually turn him into a sidekick for the Dark Archer - first step being to see what sort of stuff he was made of
  • Now he's doing the finger thing around Helena...
  • Helena: "When you love somone as much as I loved him - with all of your heart - then you can't just turn that emotion off when they're taken from you. You still feel things as deeply, and if it can't be love that you feel, then it becomes hate."
  • You know, at this point, they're both killers, and they're both hurt and alone - this seems to be a theme for his unhealthy relationships (Helena and Sara)
  • Why did Walter and Moira's relationship have to get destroyed?!? There's so much love there and the writers smashed it to pieces
  • Thea: "You seem really lonely, and we all have our secrets, Ollie - clearly, you have yours - and it's fine it you don't wanna share them with us, but I just really think you should share them with someone."
  • Helena: "Why is your vendetta more valid than mine?"
  • The parallels between his relationship with Helena and his relationship with Sara are really, really clear, right down to getting together out of desperation and pain
  • I liked this episode a whole lot more this time around (third viewing). It makes a lot more sense and fits a lot better after seeing more of what he went through during those five years, and finding out more of how he copes. It also helps his actions and decisions in the second half of season two seem more in character.

Vendetta

  • After the end of season two, every time I see the opening sequence I get really, really curious as to why he wound up back on the island
  • He doesn't see himself as a hero; he sees himself as a killer atoning for his sins and his father's sins, and that's why he tries so hard to save people, both from others and from themselves, because maybe if he saves enough people he can wipe out the red in his ledger
  • Thea has been incredibly lucky to have had not one, but two amazing fathers. I get that Robert was far from perfect, but he loved Thea, and always made sure she knew it, and Walter stepped in to fill that role after Robert's death
  • What do you mean "back then" you didn't do serious well and were excellent at screwing things up? Pretty sure you still have a long way to go with that, Mr. Queen...
  • About Sara: "I brought her on the yacht, and she died, right in front of me."
  • He's such a showoff and it's really adorable
  • Diggle: "Oliver, you're lonely - lonelier than you wanna admit. And that's why you think you can change this girl: because you need to think you can."
  • I think the other reason Oliver tried to save her was because he is so alone all the time, and the chance to have a romantic relationship where he doesn't have to hide who he really is seemed pretty darn good to him
  • The really, really awkward double date... worst thing pretty much ever
  • Sometimes Oliver can really be a douche. I think his pre-island friends tend to bring out that side of him more.
  • I think he legitimately cared about Helena, and it could have become something more. He was trying really hard to move on from Laurel, and given time, he would have. But right then Laurel also represents all that was good before the island, all that he lost and is trying to find again. Later on, when she starts to struggle, I think he realizes how much he idealized her, and starts to reevaluate his way of thinking, but at this point I think he was still in love, not with Laurel herself, but with what she represented to him.
  • It's painful watching Tommy/Laurel scenes and knowing what's coming
  • Even before she joins Oliver, Felicity is willing to put herself at risk to chase the truth
  • Oliver expressing his loneliness and how he felt the universe owed him one is heartbreaking
  • Diggle: "I don't think love is about changing or saving a person. I think it's about finding the person who's already the right fit. One day you will."
  • Diggle: "You opened up, took a risk with your heart. The Oliver I met a few months ago would not have been able to do that. And when you meet the right person, you'll be ready for her."
  • Tommy finally growing up is amazing
  • And the fact that Oliver and Tommy can maintain a strong friendship with everything that's going on is also awesome. I hate it when they fight later.
  • Also two episodes with no island scenes - it's no wonder these didn't work as well the first couple of times I saw them - at this point we know next to nothing about what happened to Oliver on the island


No comments:

Post a Comment