Finally got caught up on H50 just in time for the season finale...
Once Upon a Time - Kansas: Once again, rushed and predictable - my two most common complaints about this half of season three. Everything fell into place too easily, and things that should have meant a lot, like Regina finding good in herself, or Emma choosing to save Hook, wound up having little to no impact. I was also annoyed by Rumple's character regression. Nothing annoys me more on a show than when character development is discarded for the sake of a plot device. It wasn't terrible - in fact, I don't know that it could have been much better, given the lack of good development up to this point and the pressure to fit a whole lot of plot into just a few episodes - but it struggled in some key areas. Overall grade: B-
Supernatural - King of the Damned: Manipulative Winchesters are awesome, Crowley having feelings and hating it is always fun, Dean was very bad-ass, and the angel command post was pretty cool. I wish they'd given us more this season on the angel war and how it's affecting the world, because that could have been really great. Having Crowley remember the Winchesters' code word was a nice touch. My only thought is that Abaddon went down way too easily, or at least it seemed like it to me. If she's not really dead, that'd be okay, but if that really was the fight to end it all, it was kinda lame. Overall grade: B+
Arrow - Streets of Fire: I've seen it twice and I still can't seem to manage to be coherent... It was amazing. From Felicity hitting Isabel with the van, to all the Team Arrow action, to the Lance family awesomeness, to Slade at his window watching the city burn, it was all perfect. And don't even get me started on the Olicity scene in the clock tower. Felicity balances Oliver out so perfectly, and they are perfect together. I was intending to save the highest marks for the finale, but this episode deserves all the points. Overall grade: A+
Hawaii Five-0 - O Ka Pilo 'Ohana Ka 'Oi: After last week's powerful ending, this episode fell a little flat, though it was still good. It felt more like a mid-season setup episode than a finale - the story was pretty much self-contained, with the only question being exactly what Wo Fat is up to. I think Grover will bring an interesting dynamic to the Five-0 team, if the show can find a good balance between character screen time. It was nice to have a finale that wasn't a cliffhanger, but there are a whole lot of unresolved questions from the season that have yet to be addressed, and I was surprised that none of them were touched on. Overall grade: B+
No comments:
Post a Comment