More premieres this week, including the show I've been looking forward to more than anything - Arrow. Didn't get to watch all the new episodes for my shows, since I was traveling for the later part of the week, but I saw the ones that really mattered.
Once Upon a Time - White Out: I spent half this episode cringing at Charming's hair in the flashbacks... In the present, I still like Elsa, but now that they've established her character, she needs to develop. Also, Hook and Emma are very cute together, although Hook and Charming make me smile even more (in a totally bromance sort of way). That was about all I liked from the episode. Did I mention that the flashbacks made me cringe? And not just at the hair, but at how awful they were as a whole. I get that the show reinvents characters, but bad-guy Bo Peep just didn't cut it for me, and Charming's whole progression towards heroism fell really, really flat (unlike his hair, which was really, really bushy...). Overall grade: C
Supernatural - Black: I'm going into this season with extremely low expectations, which lets me enjoy mediocre episodes much more. And that's what this was. Demon!Dean's actions actually made sense to me - Dean's been driven all his life by a desire to do the right thing; take that away and he's not really got a motivation to do anything. Cas, on the other hand, felt really out of character. After everything he's been responsible for, he would never stand by and let angels kill each other. And I felt like the writers were trying too hard with Sam. Yes, we already know he'll do anything to save Dean. You don't have to explicitly tell us that, multiple times. Can we just be done with the angels and demons and whoever the new guy is, and instead have Sam, Dean, and Cas all together, hunting bad guys and having sleepovers in the bunker? 'Cause I'd like that a lot more than what we've got right now. Overall grade: C+
The Flash - Pilot: This is how you do a pilot episode - fun, even funny at times, but with heart. I like most of the characters, especially Barry and Detective West, I really want to know what's up with Wells, and I'm invested in the show after just one episode. (Also, I really want crossovers with Arrow to happen every few episodes. Which I realize would be overkill, but I'm loving the fact that the shows share a universe, and apparently aren't going to forget about that fact.) I really like the idea of Barry using his new-found powers to protect his city, as opposed to the common superhero concept of saving the city. I think that will allow this show to set a different tone than every other superhero show out there (or at least that's my hope). Overall grade: A-
Arrow - The Calm: There was a lot to love about this episode - all the Team Arrow interactions were perfect, and the arrival of Diggle's baby girl was the best. Plus, we finally got the promised Olicity date (which was everything I hoped it would be), and their first kiss (which was very bittersweet and I don't know how I feel about it). The new Count Vertigo has potential to be a good villain, although I will admit I was hoping he would be a bit more like the New 52 version of the Count (whom I really liked). And I even found myself liking Ray Palmer (and Felicity dishing out hacker vengeance on him was amazing). And then there was the ending, which I did not love, at all. I know Sara's death will impact the most people, and will start Laurel on the path to becoming the Black Canary. I don't care. Sara was a strong female character (something this show lacks), and killing her off for the sake of furthering Laurel's development pissed me off big time. I knew it was coming - I actually thought she'd die in last season's finale, so she made it one episode longer than I expected - but that didn't make me hate it any less. Overall grade: B+
No comments:
Post a Comment